Boilers & Economizers
A century of skill in heat supply
Alfa Laval’s Aalborg steam and heat generation solutions represent a unique body of knowledge. They stand for nearly 100 years of innovation, from energy-efficient boiler elements to composite boilers and low-pressure thermal fluid systems.
Creating optimized thermal systems
Advances are still being made. For instance, the low-maintenance Aalborg boiler concept is entering a new generation. Suffixed TCi (Turbo Clean, intelligent), the self-cleaning boilers do away with water washing and the need for effluent disposal.
From waste heat to added value
Waste heat recovery is a unique opportunity that benefits your bottom line as much as the environment. This is why – with 50% of a main engine’s fuel energy going to heat flow – using exhaust gas to generate steam is so attractive.
Alfa Laval’s Aalborg waste heat recovery systems deliver documented fuel savings and CO2 reductions of up to 14%. Our extensive experience lets us design and install systems that maximize energy gains without any compromise in onboard safety.
Further potential in auxiliary exhaust
As well as recovering heat from main engine exhaust, Alfa Laval is expanding the Aalborg portfolio by focusing on previously neglected sources of waste heat. Today, waste heat recovery from auxiliary engine exhaust can meet steam requirements during port stays, and in some cases even at sea.
The Alfa Laval Aalborg “Hot Sellers”
Combiboiler: Aalborg OC-Tci
Aalborg OC-TCi is intended for steam production. The high-performance Aalborg OC-TCi is a space saving combination boiler fired with both oil and exhaust gas. Preassembled and installed vertically, it consists of an oil-fired module with helix tubes and an exhaust gas fired module with smoke tubes.
The boiler provides effective self-cleaning, thanks to its built-in TCi (Turbo Clean, intelligent) technology and its relatively high gas velocity compared to other composite boilers. Controlled via an Aalborg Control Touch (formerly MISSION Control Touch) system, it can be fitted with a compact silencer to suit any type of diesel engine.
Features and benefits of the Aalborg OC-TCi:
• Vertical smoke/water tube type
• Standard preassembled boiler unit
• Integrated control panel
• Quick and easy installation
• Designed for operation with a monobloc-type pressure jet or rotary cup burner.
Oil fired boiler: Aalborg OS-TCi
The oil-fired Aalborg OS-TCi is a high efficiency boiler which is intended for steam production. It is designed to high-efficiency, user-friendly be self-cleaning and have environmentally friendly maintenance.
The oil-fired Aalborg OS-TCi (formerly MISSION OS-TCi) is supplied as a vertical, preassembled boiler unit. The boiler’s built-in TCi (Turbo Clean, intelligent) technology makes it self-cleaning to the highest possible degree, and what little maintenance remains is easy and has a low environmental impact.
Features and benefits of the Aalborg OS-TCi
• Oil-fired production of steam
• TCi technology for improved efficiency and self-cleaning without water washing
• Design pressure: 10 bar(g)
• Capacity: 750–8 000 kg/h
• Reliability Turbo self-cleaning
• Environmentally friendly maintenance
• User-friendly burner design
• Intelligent control for the future
• Scrubber compatible
Oil fired boiler: Aalborg OM-TCi
Aalborg OM-TCi is a vertical cylindrical steam boiler with a high capacity range. OM-TCi has been developed based on our well-proven technology and long experience.
Aalborg OM-TCi (formerly MISSION™ OM-TCi) is a vertical cylindrical steam boiler in the capacity range of 8,000 – 20,000 kg/h. It has been developed based on our well-proven technology and long experience.
The best features of the well-known UNEX™ CHB and MISSION™ OM boilers have been incorporated into the new boiler design.
Features and benefits Aalborg OM-TCi
• Vertical cylindrical boiler made of mild steel
• Standard preassembled boiler unit
• Integrated control panel
• Ready to install
• Designed for operation with a rotary cup burner or steam atomizing burner
Exhaust gas boiler: Aalborg XS-2V and Aalborg XS-7V
The Aalborg XS-2V economizer is designed for utilisation of exhaust gas from the diesel engines for production of steam. The design is tailormade according to exhaust gas demand and temperature. Aalborg XS-2V comes with its own steam space while the Aalborg XS-7V is designed without steam space.
The economizer is carried out with the smoke tubes welded to the tube plates at both ends, and this robust design can, in emergency cases, withstand running dry. The Aalborg XS-2V with its own steam space and is able to operate independently from the oil-fired boiler/steam drum.
The sizes of the economizers depend on required steam capacity, amount of exhaust gas, temperature, and working pressure.
Characteristics of Aalborg XS-2V and Aalborg XS-7V
• Vertical smoke tube exhaust gas economizer
• Own steam space or forced circulation
• Steam capacity: 0.5 – 5 t/h
• Heat capacity: 0.3 – 4 MW
• Design pressure:10 bar(g)
• Designed to utilize thermal energy in exhaust gases
• Quick start up
• Simple and automatic operation
• Easy maintenance
• Standardized components
• All-welded constructions
• Compact and easy to install
Exhaust gas economizer for auxiliary engines: Aalborg XS-TC7A
Aalborg XS-TC7A is an efficient exhaust gas economizer for auxiliary engines. It is designed to significantly reduce the oil consumption for the oil-fired boiler.
Exhaust gas from the auxiliary engines has been an overlooked energy source. But becau
se the cooler exhaust of long-stroke main diesel engines can be insufficient to support steam needs, it is becoming more attractive. Auxiliary engine exhaust gas can fulfill steam requirements during port stays or even en route. At today’s high fuel prices, the Aalborg XS-TC7A exhaust gas economizer has a typical payback time of 1–1.5 years.
Features and Benefits of Aalborg XS-TC7A
• Able to supply or support the steam demand during port stay
• Cost of steam production (energy) is nearly free
• Financially sound investment with very short payback time
• Adds a “green” profile to the ship
• Less maintenance and lower operating costs for the oil-fired boilerDesign pressure: 10 bar(g)
• Capacity according to ship’s specification
• Potential positive influence on Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI)
• With or without own steam space
• Resistance to dry running (within certain parameters) for continuous operation even when performing maintenance
Exhaust gas economizer for main engines: Aalborg XW
The Aalborg XW is a water tube, forced circulation exhaust gas boiler/economizer. It is specially designed for heat recovery from diesel engine exhaust gas but the basic design suits numerous applications.
The heating surface is made up of double gilled tubes as standard, with a spacing that minimizes soot build-up. In addition, there is an efficient cleaning system that uses steam or compressed-air soot blowers.
The economizer can be used in conjunction with an oil-fired auxiliary boiler or a separate steam drum, in both cases acting as a steam/water separator.
Features and benefits Aalborg XW:
• Forced circulation exhaust gas economizer
• Water tube boiler with gilled tubes for exhaust gas heat recovery
• Robust, well-proven construction, able to withstand vibrations and exhaust gas pulsation
• Heating surface composition which ensures the required output from the most compact unit
• Efficient, well-proven cleaning system with steam or air soot blowers
• Superheater and preheater as an option
• Steam capacity: 0.2 – 17 t/h
• Heat capacity: 0.1 – 21 MW
• Steam pressure: 12 – 22 bar(g)
Thermal Oil Heaters: Aalborg TFO
Alfa Laval Aalborg is the world’s market leader in supplying marine thermal fluid heating systems. Within this product range is the Aalborg TFO, which is a oil- or gas-fired thermal fluid heater.
In addition to engineering and production of the thermal fluid heater units, which we deliver complete with burner and control system, Alfa Laval Aalborg supplies the following equipment:
• Circulation Pumps and valves
• Expansion tanks
• Dump coolers
• Tank cleaning heaters
• Heat exhangers
• Electrical heaters
• Unfired steam boilers
• Spare parts
Alfa Laval Aalborg’s thermal fluid systems can be supplied with an in-house devloped PLC-operate controle panel. Through the touch screen of this control panel, the operator has a clear overview of the complete heating system and its status. The different kind of field-bus connections for communication mean that connecting a second touch screen and/or connecting the system to a central alarm is very simple.
Features and benefits of the Aalborg TFO
• Constructed with a double coil system of large bare tubes
• Removable top plate provide access for inspection and cleaning of the coils
• Vertical or horizontal execution
• Thermal fluid cooled flue gas bottom plate option
• Low thermal fluid pressure drop
• Three-pass flue gas configuration
• Capacity:100 – 15,000 kW
• Design pressure:10/13 bar(g)
• Thermal fluid design temperature: 280ºC
Thermal Oil Exhaust gas Heaters: Aalborg EX
Aalborg EX is a forced-circulation vertical heater for recovering heat from exhaust gas.
Features and benefits of Aalborg EX
• Forced-circulation vertical heater for recovering heat from exhaust gas
• Designed with low pressure loss
• On request equipped with integrated inlet and outlet boxes
• Coils made of bare tubes
• Integrated exhaust gas by-pass damper as an option (up to 80,000 kg/h exhaust gas flow)
• Top-mounted water washing system for soot cleaning during non-operation and fire fighting
• Soot cleaning system during operation fitted at exhaust gas inlet
• Capacity: 100 – 5.000 kW
• Design pressure:10/13 bar(g)
• Thermal fluid design temperature:300 ºC
This is only a small selection of the superior Alfa Laval product range when it comes to boilers, economizers or heaters. The wider range, more information and technical details can be foud on the Alfa Laval web page, or simply call Karberg & Schmitz
See more at: Alfa Laval Aalborg